Thursday, February 7, 2008

Turkey Tetrazzini

A few months ago we went to the doctor and he mentioned to us that if we want to be healthy I should cook like Grandma used to cook. After the visit I went to Grandma's house and had a nice long conversation about what she used to cook for her family and what her mother made for her. There are some things that I will be unable to prepare as Bill doesn't hunt nor do I pluck feathers. However, in my quest for good, old-fashioned recipes my Mom bought me a cookbook called "Like Grandma Used to Make." As I prepare meals that my family enjoys, I'll post the recipe for anyone else who would like to try. I would also enjoy any delightful recipes from anyone else!

Turkey Tetrazzini:

6 oz spaghetti
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups chopped turkey or chicken breast
1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium-size saucepan, whisk together evaporated skimmed milk, milk, flour, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Cook and whisk for 2 min more or until thickened. Stir in the Cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in turkey.

3. Place half of the spaghetti into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole dish. Top with half of the turkey mixture. Repeat layers. In a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 30 min or until heated through. Makes 4 servings.

3 comments:

Michael and Cristi said...

We are going to try this! Thanks!

Vicki Parramore said...

Oh good! It's really easy! I thought it needed a litte more salt than the recipe called for, but it could just be me:)

S.May said...

I don't pluck feathers either. Hee hee. Looks good! Yum! Just got home from work and I'm starving...